MM513 Electrosurgical Insulation Defect Detector
McGan Technology’s MM513 electrosurgical insulation defect detector is a compact, hand held, battery operated unit that tests the integrity, such as pinholes, cracks or defects, of the insulation of electrosurgical instrument in order to prevent inadvertent tissue burns which may occur during electrosurgical instrument procedures. The integrity of the insulation of electrosurgical instruments can occur over time, through normal surgical use, through the accidental contact with a sharp instrument or the rubbing of the insulation to the point of abrading it. The insulation failure provides an alternate pathway for the current to leave the instrument’s electrode usually beyond the sight of the surgeon which will result in the unintended tissue burn. Using an electrosurgical test equipment maintenance program can greatly reduce the number of these inadvertent burns during electrosurgical procedures.
- Lightweight portable unit
- Reusable/interchangeable brush, ring or tri-hole electrode
- Simple operation, easy to read LED indicators
- Maintains applied test voltage with a constant current source
- Full test current at low voltages
- Limited output current for operational safety
- LED displays alarm and battery charge
1/20/21: AAMI Introduced New Amendments to ANSI/AAMI ST79:2017/A2:2020
ANSI/AAMI ST79:2017, Comprehensive Guide to Steam Sterilization and Sterility Assurance in Healthcare Facilities
Amendment 2: Inspection of Insulated Instruments
Para: 8.2.1. a) Instrumentation intended for use with electric current should be tested for integrity each time it is processed in accordance with the instrument manufacturer’s written IFUs for inspection.
Click each image to view a full-size image, or download the manual.
Click to view a full-size image.
- UL-CSA Listed Adapter
- AC-DC Power Supply Adapter
- Li Polymer Batteries
- Weight: 1.1lbs (460grams)
- Display: LED
- Voltage: 0V to 5kV adjustable
- Resolution: 10V
- Current output: <0.1mA at probe
- Short circuit: test current 0.1mA max
- Power supply:1800 Ma Li-Polymer Battery
- Power supply option: 5V external rechargeable battery with Adaptor
- Dimensions: 8.27″ x 2.95″ x 1.38″ (210mm x 75mm x 35mm)
- Alarm: audible and visual
- 15 Hr operational time (up to 1000 instruments) 2 -4 hour recharging cycle
Typical Test Voltages
Brush and Ring LSE Electrode